The Temple of Saint Sava in Belgrade
Published: September 20, 2010 | Source: Belgradenet.com | Share / Bookmark
The Temple of Saint Sava is an Orthodox church which is dedicated to Saint Sava, founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church. It is built on the location where his remains were burned by Ottoman Turks in 1595.
Saint Sava was the son of Stefan Nemanja, grand župan of Serbia. As a young boy, he has longed for spiritual life, so he has run away to the Holy Mount Athos, where he entered an order and died as a monk.
From the emperor and the patriarch, Sava has obtained independence of the Serbian Church, and he has become the first Serbian archbishop. Together with his father, Sava has raised up the Chilandar Monastery, and, later on, many other monasteries, churches and schools all over Serbia. Sava has reconciled his brothers, fighting about power, Serbs with their neighbours, and, through creation of the Serbian Church, he has created Serbian state and culture. He has brought peace to all Balkan peoples and worked for the well-being of them all, which has brought him respect and affection of all those nations. To the Serbs he has given a Christian soul.
St. Sava died in Trnovo on January 12, 1236. Serbian king Vladislav has transferred Sava's remains to the Mileševa monastery, but the Turkish Sinan Pasha took the remains and burned them in Vračar, Belgrade, on April 27, 1595.
Preparations for the construction of one of the largest orthodox churches in the world started way back in 1894. After two public competitions, the design authored by architects Bogdan Nestorović and Aleksandar Deroko was approved in 1926. Construction works were interrupted with the bombing of Belgrade at the beginning of World War II. They were continued after a very long pause, in 1985.