Belgrade has precious monuments of spiritual culture, churches, monasteries and places of worship of different confessions. According to last census, there are 90,68% Belgrade citizens of Orthodox persuasion, about 1,29% of Islamic and 1,03% of Roman Catholic belief, 0.24% of them are Protestants, 0.03% Jews, 2,02% of unknown belief, while 3% declared as nonbelievers.
The Serbian Orthodox Church is an autocephalous, or ecclesiastically independent, member of the Orthodox communion, located primarily in Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia. Since many Serbs have emigrated to foreign countries, there are now Serbian Orthodox communities worldwide.
One of the most important places of worship in Serbia is The Orthodox Cathedral (Saborna crkva) which was built in 1840 by order of prince Miloš Obrenović. One of the oldest is also St. Nikolaj's Church (1731) which is located at the old historical center of Zemun beneath the mediaeval Gardoš fortress. The Temple of Saint Sava, which is dedicated to Saint Sava - founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church, can receive 12 000 believers. Because of its dominant position in Belgrade's cityscape, it represents the most monumental building in the city. By their importance and look, you should also visit St Petka's Church (Crvka Svete Petke) and the Church of the Holy Mother of God (Crkva Ruzica) and St. Mark's Church.
There are also several Roman Catholic churches, one synagogue, one mosque and several places of worship of other confessions in Belgrade.
The Orthodox Cathedral in Belgrade - Saborna crkva
It was built in 1837-1840 by order of Knez Miloš Obrenović, a according to the design and plans of A. F. Kverfeld, a builder from Pančevo. It is built in in style of classicism with late baroque elements. The church is dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. The interior is richly decorated. Particularly important is the cathedral treasury with ancient icons and richly adorned works of 17th - 20th master goldsmiths. The Serbian rulers Miloš Obrenović and Mihailo Obrenović are buried in the church crypt. Two other outstanding figures of the Serbian culture, Dositej Obradović and Vuk Stefanović Karadžić are buried in the churchyard.
Belgrade Churches - Religion in Belgrade
St. Mark's Church
St. Mark's Church at Tašmajdan was built between 1931 and 1940, on the location of an older church from 1835, and designed in Serbian-Byzantine style by the architects Petar Krstić and Branko Krstić. Architecturally this church resembles the Gračanica Monastery. was built between 1931 and 1940, on the location of an older church from 1835, and designed in Serbian-Byzantine style by the architects Petar Krstić and Branko Krstić. Architecturally this church resembles the Gračanica Monastery.
St. Nikolaj's Church
The church is located at the old historical center of Zemun beneath the mediaeval Gardoš fortress. It was built in 1725-1731 in baroque style, as a single-naved building with a two-storied bell-tower. It has all the characteristics of baroque temples built in Vojvodina in the XVIII century. The interior is decorated with a richly carved iconostasis, bearing icons painted in 1762 by Dimitrije Bačević, one of the most famous Serbian painters of the second half of XVIII century. The church has one of the most valuable collections of old cultic objects, as well as a collection of XVIII and XIX-century icons. The relics of Saint Apostle Andrew, the First-called, are kept in this church.
Church of the Holy Mother of God
It is located near north-east walls of Belgrade Fortress, under the Zindan gate. In the time of Despot Stefan Lazarević there was an old church of the same name, which was destroyed when the Turks conquered Belgrade in 1521. What is now the church, was gunpowder storage in the XVIII century, and turned into a military church in 1867-1869. It was heavily damaged after World War I and renewed in 1925.
Temple of Saint Sava in Belgrade
The Temple of Saint Sava is an Orthodox church which is dedicated to Saint Sava, founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church. The church is being built at the place where in 1595 Sinnan Pasha had the holy relics of St. Sava burned at the stake, after he had them brought over from the Mileševa Monastery. Because of its dominant position in Belgrade's cityscape, it represents the most monumental building in the city.
Jewish Religious Community in Belgrade
The written records on the existence of Jews in Belgrade date back to the XVI century. Researcher believe that Jews were present in Belgrade in earlier centuries, too. The Jews which have lived in the countries of Central Europe carrying with them the influence of German culture and language, called the Ashkenazim, have settled on the bank of the Sava.
Islamic Religious Community in Belgrade
The Bajrakli Mosque - Bajrakli džamija
It was built around 1690, as a memorial of Sultan Suleiman II, after Belgrade newly fell into the hands of the Turks. At the time of its construction it was just one of tens of mosques in the city. During Austrian rule it was turned into a Catholic church. It was turned back into a mosque when the Turks returned to Belgrade. Along with all the changes the mosque changed its name several times. Finally, at the end of the 18th century it was named Bajrakli-mosque, after the flag (bajrak) which has been raised as a sign for simultaneous beginning of prayers in all mosques. Now it stands as the sole remaining mosque in Belgrade and it is still serves today as a gathering place for people of the Islamic faith.